About Me

I have little time for.....well, anything. 4 kids, job, and yes, I decided at 33 that further education seemed like fun. I am terribly interested in politics, social problems, and brain injury.

Friday, February 11, 2011

What does Egypt Have to do With Tea Partiers

I find myself cautiously happy for the people of Egypt. I'm concerned about the outcome, but am inspired by them. They faced all mortal fear to demonstrate in huge numbers and have their voices heard worldwide. People briefly forgot that they are not predominately white or Christian. Watching this unfold has reminded me that Americans have demonstrated in huge numbers. Sometimes a change has occurred, sometimes not, but the hope is unsquashable.

Listening to all of the talk of Egypt makes me wonder what other nations thought of America's fight for independence. Was there concern over a power vacuum or the fear of who would control the nation? While this may come to bite me later, I think the group Muslim Brotherhood, is thrown around to induce fear and it is working. Now they are the new boogieman, as I'm sure people thought George Bush was.

Now to the Tea Party and ultra conservatism; I see more than a fight for independence, I see a fight from people with no real economic options. I see a chasm between the haves and have not's in Egypt and the gap continues to grow in America to such a degree, it is feared the middle class will become extinct. If the mentality continues here to only cater to wealthy people through governmental policy the gap will grow larger and the lower rung people will feel even more disenfranchised. This creates a group of dissatisfied people, a group with nothing to lose, a group with demands that can hit the streets in huge numbers. As our government grows larger than life, not in size but in unattainable economic size, the believe that all people have a voice erodes further. This causes me to wonder, will this create a power vacuum that may be filled by militias from Wyoming......

No comments:

Post a Comment