About Me

I have little time for.....well, anything. 4 kids, job, and yes, I decided at 33 that further education seemed like fun. I am terribly interested in politics, social problems, and brain injury.

Friday, February 25, 2011

For only 20 cents a day, you can help Little Susie

All week I've been trying, trying hard to not mention the whole Planned Parenthood debate. I know it's overdone and nobody is going to meet in the middle on the abortion debate. Here's the issue, abortion is 3 percent of what Planned Parenthood does, 3 percent. So our current lawmakers are saying that an organization the provides services for women, services that some women can get no other place (I am not referring to the 3 percent abortion rate) should be cut. But this is not an attack on women. If not then who? This is not a budget cutting method, budget cutting entails getting into real expenses, like defense or funding Israel. Balancing a budget and fixing our economic issues will require a tax hike. I know it's a dirty word, but cutting funding for poor women to obtain birth control is not a long term budget cutting mechanism it's a way to keep women on the system, probably where they like them. If these tea partiers in Congress wish to cut the budget so badly, perhaps they should cut their own salaries, or is it ok for our grandchildren to pay for that?

I am not comfortable with white men making decisions about services provided to me. I saw a few tweets from Canadians asking if we had women in our Congress. Even they see this is an attack on women. Because it is. While we take birth control to developing nations in an effort to stem their population explosion, why do we shut our own women down?

I am also not comfortable with the Pope making decisions for me. We do not live in Rome, we are not under the power of the Catholic church, yet we bend to their will. In fact we take their opinion on public policy. Our public is not Catholic, we are atheist, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu, many other faiths AND Catholic. Catholicism did not even provide the basis for our nation.

In addition to my disdain for this attack on women, I am also very concerned. If poor women lack access to birth control, and middle class women slide into poverty as the income gap widens, where will we be?

No comments:

Post a Comment